Ilkiding’a Cultural Tourism
The following is on offer:
- A visit to a local traditionally built household to get an idea of how an extended family lives together
- Traditional dancing: We can bring the dance to you or you can bring the people to the dance.
- A walk through coffee plantations and open fields where potatoes, cabbages, maize, beans and other cash crops are cultivated by the villagers.
- A visit to a traditional healer, who is ready to answer all your questions and give advice if needed a visit to the craftsmen prepared by the Mainyoito Women’s Group at one of the households
- A visit to the primary school where money generated from tourism as Development Fees is used to rehabilitate the school
- The pleasure of impressive viewpoints overlooking Arusha town, hiking along narrow footpaths, crossing a canyon and climbing small hills. You can take a half day tour, full day tour or a 3 day south-west Meru cultural hike. A fourth option is an 8-hour walking trip from Arusha to the starting point, where you connect with the full day tour.
Half day tour
This includes a visit to Sembeo’s Boma where you get a glimpse of village life. Thereon, walk through fields of crops, visit a traditional healer, head to the Njeche Canyon and end with a traditional meal at the Mainyoito
Full day tour
This includes a trail through the fields, a visit to Sembeo’s Boma and crossing the Ngarenaro river to reach Leloto viewpoint. Head to the Maasai Craftsmen Group and end the tour with a traditional meal at the Mainyoito Women’s Group.
3 days hike on the first day, walk uphill to Sembeo’s Boma. Cross Ngarenaro river and walk through Milkhasi Forest to Timbolo to spend the night.
Next day, cross the Ngareolmotonyi river and walk uphill to Olkokola and further on to Ilkurot to spend the night. On the third day, walk to Muklat and Ngaramtoni for the weekly Maasai market. After lunch, walk or drive back to Arusha.
Getting there: Ilkiding’a village lies 7 km north of Arusha town, a 20-minute drive. At Mianzini junction, cars can be hired. Walking is also possible but it will take you 2 hours to reach the starting point of the tour. (Income from tourist visits will be used to improve the primary school.)
For further information contact:
Mobile: + 255 732978570 | + 255 713520264 | + 255 757520264 | + 255 784520264 | + 255 767332005
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com