Oldonyo Sambu Cultural Tourism
Oldonyo Sambu is located 36 km north-west of Arusha on the highway to Nairobi. The centre of operations is Oldonyo Sambu Market (also known as Maiko Market)
The programme includes the following:
- Short hikes up the hills to view the beautiful Maasai land and to get a glimpse of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru,
Longido and Kitumbeine
- Visits to traditional Maasai bomas, markets and watering dams
- Visit to a traditional healer and the centre of Maasai women specializing in making ornaments
- Horse, camel and donkey rides across Maasai country
There various tour options available:
Half day tours
1. The safari starts with a visit to a Maasai boma to see the traditional lifestyle of the tribe. Hike up the Oldonyo-Was Hill to view the surrounding plains and villages. Later, head to the centre of Maasai women specializing in ornament making and to the historic tower, a reminder of colonialism. Trek to a holy fig tree and thereon to a water spring.
2. Start by hiking up the Mareu Hill to view Mt. Kilimanjato, Mt. Meru, Longido, Kitumbeine and Monduli. Rest in a Maasai boma before heading to meet a traditional healer.
Full day tours
1. Hike up the Oldonyo-Was Hill, then rest in a Maasai boma before heading to meet a traditional healer. Visit the watering dams and a traditional meat camp or ‘orpul’. Proceed to the fields and to watch livestock in the lush pastures of the Maasai. Nearby is a zoo with Marabou storks, leopards and colobus monkeys. Time permitting, you will be shown the local method of beekeeping.
2. Start by hiking up Mareu Hill to view Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru, Longido, Kitumbeine and Monduli. Later, rest in a Maasai boma and visit a traditional healer. Go on to see the holy fig tree, water spring, meat camp and historic tower. End the journey with a meal prepared by the Maasai women.
A tailor-made overnight tour can be organized to include a visit to a Maasai boma, Maasai market and traditional healer. Go to the pastures to learn about Maasai livestock and enjoy a traditional ‘nyama choma’ or roast meat meal.
Getting there: Drive down the Nairobi road to the Oldonyo Sambu Market. On arrival, you will see the signs leading to the office. (Income from the tourist visit will be used to improve the primary school and health centre in Oldonyo sambu)
For further information contact:
Tel: + 255 784 663381, + 255 784 694790