Southern Pare Mountains Tours
Walk along steep slopes, through dense tropical forests and the villages of Pare in the Mbaga Hills deep within the Southern Pare Mountains, about 150 km from Moshi.
A tour of Southern Pare Mountains includes:
- A trip to the hilltop Ranzi Dam and Tona grounds to get glimpses of German history, and unique flora and fauna
- A climb to the different mountain peaks from where you get excellent views of Mkomazi National Park, Mt. Kilimanjaro, and Shengena Peak and Taita hills of Kenya
- A view of Shengena Peak, the highest point of the Eastern Arc Mountains
- A view into Pare culture
Different tours are on offer:
Half day walking tours
1: Mghimbi Caves and Malamen Rock
Visit the Mghimbi Caves, which in 1860 were used as hiding places during slave raids. Proceed to Malameni Rock where untill 1930, thousands of children were sacrificed to the Gods to appease the evil spirits.
2: Mpepera View Point
From this viewpoint, see Mt. Kilimanjaro and the expanse of the Mkomazi Game Reserve. A cross on the hilltop symbolizes a peaceful union between the Protestants and Roman Catholics of the area.
One day tours
1: Tona Moorland – Ranzi Dam
From Tona Lodge, walk though lush rainforests to view Malameni Rock and Proceed to Tona Moorland. Behind the moorland. Behind the Moorland are ruins from the period of German missionary influence in Mbaga Hills. Go on to Ranzi Dam, where you can picnic beside a natural spring.
2: Heiganda Duma viewpoint
Visit Mbakweni village, home to traditional healers and breweries. Go on to Mlamba Natural Caves and Chabaru, a traditional village, before you begin your ascent to Heiganda Duma viewpoint.
3: Ikongwe village tour
From Tona Lodge, walk along mountain terrace and waterfalls. The area abounds in tropical fruits. On the way back, stop by Mpepera viewpoint.
4: Red Reservoir tour
This is an excellent picnic and bird viewing sport high in the mountains near the Tona Moorlands.
3 days hike - Shengena Forest
- Day 1: Leave Tona Lodge early morning and walk through the green countryside to Chome Village. Stay with a local family, sample the local food and enjoy the rich Pare culture.
- Day 2: Continue your ascent to the edge of Shengena Forest where you can camp under the stars.
- Day 3: Rise at 4 am and hike up Shengena Peak to watch a stunning sunrise. Pare 4x4 car round trip The beautiful Pare mountains can be explored by driving around. Visit the villages, the farmers, and listen to the legends of the Pare people.
Getting there: Mbaga hills are about 150 km fro Moshi. Buses are available from Dar es Salaam up to Same. At the bus stand, direction can be obtained about public Transport to reach Mbaga Hills. (Income from tourist visits will be used to subsidize energy saving stoves and for education scholarships to the local vocation training centre.)
For further information contact:
Tel: + 255 754 852010 / 788 607388
There are no videos!